What is in a name at Murphy’s Creek

Chapter 12

Published Feb, 2004

Arthurs Creek Mechanics' Institute and Free Library. Established 1887. This plaque includes a commemoration of Ken Murphy's contribution. Photo credit Bruce G. Draper

…altogether five Murphy boys settled in Arthurs Creek when they were married, so that it was often referred to as Murphy’s Creek…

James T. (Jim) Murphy in ‘Early Settlers of Arthurs Creek’ records that ‘In 1864 Thomas Murphy arrived in Arthurs Creek with his wife and seven children. Two more were born later.’…‘Altogether five Murphy boys settled in Arthurs Creek when they were married, so that it was often referred to as Murphy’s Creek.’

‘The Running Creek Road went into Streamville over the Deep Creek log crossing. Here another family of Murphy’s settled in 1881.’…‘A daughter died very young, but three sons married, built homes and reared families in the area.’

Chester Draper (1905-1998) in his reminiscences recalls that ‘In my school days many of the people in Arthurs Creek were Murphys and those at school and growing up were third generation. In the early 1860s Thomas Murphy from Northern Ireland took up land and built his house just south of the corner of Brennan’s Road and Deep Creek Road. He had a large family, some of whom were, Bill who lived on the east side of the Creek where Frank Nankervis now lives. Joe was on the south side of Brennan’s Road and Dave on the north side. George had the Store and Post office where Dick Allen now lives.

About the same time, another Thomas Murphy from Southern Ireland lived at Streamville on the Running Creek on the west bank. He had three sons Pat, Jim and Dennis. Jim was upstream from Pat (in the old home) and Dennis (Dinny) was on the east side of the Creek. Each had a family.

In this third generation things began to get confusing. Joe and Bill Murphy each had a Jim. These were distinguished by names – ‘Joe’s Jim’ – ‘Wild Jim’ and with Streamville Jim – ‘Long Jim’. Jim and Pat at Streamville each had a Tom known as ‘Jim’s Tom’ and ‘Pat’s Tom’. Then there was ‘Dave’s Tom’. Dave Murphy had a son named Dave. These were ‘Old Dave’ and ‘Young Dave’. Dave also had a Bill as well as a brother Bill. George had a son George ‘Old George’ and ‘Young George’. There were ‘Jim’s Jack’ and ‘Dave’s Jack’. However the three families at Streamville moved away fairly soon after the 1914-18 War and most of the other Murphys have moved on or died out. All the families above were fruit growers and no doubt did not have a good income’.

In 1881 William Murphy purchased 223 acres of land, covering much of the present Arthurs Creek township area. Land next to the school was donated as a site for the Arthurs Creek Mechanics Institute hall in 1886. In 1899 a purpose built post office and store, with an attached residence behind, was opened next to the hall, with William Murphy as the resident Postmaster. A Murphy descendant is pictured here. Photo credit Murphy family
Mr and Mrs Hammett with students at Arthurs Creek State School in the 1890's. Headteacher, Mr. Frederick W. Hammett, was also the first Arthurs Creek postmaster
Original Hazelglen school c 1870. Before his death (in 1858) Patrick Reid of ‘Hazel Glen’ engaged Angus Smith, the youngest of the three brothers of 'Glen Ard' station to teach the younger members of his family. In 1867 Angus and his wife Barbara took up positions as school teacher and sewing mistress respectively at the new Hazelglen School
Arthurs Creek Mechanics Institute Hall and Free Library. Photo by Bruce G. Draper, 2012
Pruning at George Apted's 'Meadvale' orchard, Nutfield. Photo credit Apted family
Mrs Elizabeth Ann Murphy, wife of Thomas Murphy, both from County Armagh, Northern Ireland. Thomas and Elizabeth built their home beside the Deep Creek, then a beautiful stream teeming with black fish, having selected 80 acres adjacent to Charles Draper’s allotment, and the family of five boys and two girls moved to Arthurs Creek in 1864. Photo credit Murphy family
Owen McDonald and Pat (P.W.J.) Murphy, Arthurs Creek. Photo credit McDonald and Murphy families
W.E. Murphy's home at the Murphy property 'Park View', Running Creek Road, 1984. Photo credit Murphy family
Ken and Rita Murphy, Arthurs Creek, 1933. Photo credit Murphy family
Touring historic Arthurs Creek properties with the author's friend, Ken Murphy in the 1960s. Photo credit Bruce G. Draper
In Loving Memory of Bridget. The Beloved Daughter of Thomas and Mary Murphy who died 22nd March 1884, Age 23 years. May Her Soul Rest In Peace. Photo credit Bruce G. Draper
Arthurs Creek Uniting Church opened as a Methodist Church on Sunday 3rd November 1873. The author's friend Ken Murphy is in the foreground c 1984. Photo credit Bruce G. Draper
The old bridge over the Deep Creek near David and Joseph Murphy's

Got a question or some interesting facts?  Leave a comment and we’ll reply.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Research Tools

Click here for links and descriptions that may be helpful for those doing their own research, or for those who simply want to know more about some of the topics touched on in Up the Creek Victoria

Topics:

Abbey FamilyAirey FamilyAlfred DeakinAllen FamilyAllwood StationApted FamilyArdchattan StationArthurs Creek CemeteryArthurs Creek Cricket ClubArthurs Creek Football ClubArthurs Creek Fruit GrowersArthurs Creek Mechanics Institute HallArthurs Creek Methodist ChurchArthurs Creek Post OfficeArthurs Creek Primary SchoolArthurs Creek Rifle ClubArthurs Creek Uniting ChurchBarton Hill StationBassett FamilyBatman TreatyBear's CastleBear FamilyBegoniasBoadle FamilyBoer warBraeside StationBrain FamilyBrennan FamilyBrock FamilyBushranger BurkeCharnwood StationChristian FamilyChurch of the Irish MartyrsClarke FamilyCleir Hills StationCraigie Lee StationDeep CreekDishleigh StationDoreen VillageDraper FamilyDuffy Land ActEarly BlacksmithsFernvale StationFlintoff FamilyFrank Dalby DavisonFruit Cool StoresGillian FamilyGlen Ard StationGlen Donald StationGray FamilyGreen FamilyHall FamilyHazel Glen CemeteryHazelglen HallHazel Glen SchoolHazel Glen StationHazel Glen Wesleyan ChurchHealey FamilyHenry ArthurHerbert FamilyHeyfield GippslandHickey FamilyHickey’s CornerHowitt FamilyHurrey FamilyHurst FamilyKenneth JackKirkliston StationLaidlay FamilyLang Fauld StationLinton CemeteryLinton FamilyLinton Grange StationLobb FamilyLobbs HillLodgeLodge FamilyMacfarlane FamilyMacmillan FamilyMacpherson FamilyMann FamilyMcDonald FamilyMcKay FamilyMcKimmie FamilyMcLelland FamilyMills FamilyMurdie FamilyMurphy's CreekMurphy FamilyPine Hill StationPlenty RiverReid FamilyRoyal Horticultural Society of VictoriaRunning CreekRyder FamilyRyders Flat ReserveScrubby CreekSmith FamilySteer FamilyStewart's PondsStewart FamilyThomas FamilyTregowan StationUnderwood FamilyVersdale StationVerso FamilyWaitui StationWhittlesea Agricultural SocietyWhittlesea ShowWild Horses BrumbiesWilliam Jock FraterWinter Majetin AppleYan Yean Primary SchoolYan Yean Reservoir