Arthurs Creek Rifle Club

Chapter 33

Published Mar, 2004

The Arthurs Creek Rifle Club, 1920. The club held its meetings at Hazelglen Hall.  This photo was presented to Neil Brock's grandfather, Lex Brock.  Back row left to right: Everard Bassett, William (Bill) Sutherland , E Halbisch, J Jeffrey, E Pill, R Greenwood Front row: Lewis (Lex) A Brock, John (Jack) A Laidlay, E Garside, Herman Graff.  Photo and information credit Neil Brock
The Arthurs Creek Rifle Club, 1920. The club held its meetings at Hazelglen Hall. This photo was presented to Neil Brock's grandfather, Lex Brock. Back row left to right: Everard Bassett, William (Bill) Sutherland , E Halbisch, J Jeffrey, E Pill, R Greenwood Front row: Lewis (Lex) A Brock, John (Jack) A Laidlay, E Garside, Herman Graff. Photo and information credit Neil Brock

…targets were erected at ‘a splendid range which is let to them rent free by its generous owner, Mr. W. Laidlay.’…

‘An enthusiastic meeting of the residents of the Arthurs Creek district was held in the Hazelglen Hall on Saturday, March 24, 1900 for the purpose of forming a rifle club.’ The meeting was convened by G. J. Apted and chaired by J. Herbert, J.P.

Rifle clubs received encouragement from the Government at the time of the Boer War to increase proficiency in rifle shooting. 14 members were sworn in at the initial meeting. Additional members were sworn in at the next meeting, completing the number required to form a new club. G.J. Apted was elected Captain, E.C. Nash Secretary and C.J. Verso Treasurer.

Targets were erected at ‘a splendid range which is let to them rent free by its generous owner, Mr. W. Laidlay.’ In April 1900 there were 47 members. The club’s range was formally opened on Saturday 29 September 1900 by E. H. Cameron M.L.A. Councillor J. Herbert J.P. thanked Mr. Cameron on behalf of the Club. Visitors included Vice-President, Councillor C. Draper, J.P. An opening concert and ball was held in the Hazelglen Hall on Tuesday 2 October 1900. ‘The programme being of an appropriate patriotic and military nature, met with a hearty and enthusiastic reception, nearly every item carrying an encore’.

At the annual prize meeting held on Wednesday 30 October 1901 ‘prizes won during the past year were presented to the winners by Miss Creighton, daughter of the President of the Club’. The Draper Gold Medal, presented by Charles Draper, Esq. for first prize was won by D.J. Murphy. The silver medal for second prize presented by C. Creighton was won by W. Hempel. The Sargood Trophy, .303 rifle, presented by Sir F.T. Sargood, was won by Jas. T. Murphy. The second division silver medal was won by M. Bassett.

The land at the corner of Bannon’s Lane North and Doctor’s Gully Road still shows evidence that it was the site for the Hazelglen Hall (and tennis court) which was demolished in 1975.  At the annual prize meeting of the Arthurs Creek Rifle Club held on Wednesday 30 October 1901 at the Hazelglen Hall ‘prizes won during the past year were presented to the winners by Miss Creighton, daughter of the President of the Club’. The Draper Gold Medal, presented by Charles Draper, Esq. for first prize was won by D.J. Murphy
The land at the corner of Bannon’s Lane North and Doctor’s Gully Road still shows evidence that it was the site for the Hazelglen Hall (and tennis court) which was demolished in 1975. At the annual prize meeting of the Arthurs Creek Rifle Club held on Wednesday 30 October 1901 at the Hazelglen Hall ‘prizes won during the past year were presented to the winners by Miss Creighton, daughter of the President of the Club’. The Draper Gold Medal, presented by Charles Draper, Esq. for first prize was won by D.J. Murphy
An event for returned WW1 soldiers held at Hazelglen Hall.  Eltham and Whittlesea Shires Advertiser and Diamond Creek Valley Advocate, 21 Nov 1919.  Credit Trove, National Library of Australia
An event for returned WW1 soldiers held at Hazelglen Hall. Eltham and Whittlesea Shires Advertiser and Diamond Creek Valley Advocate, 21 Nov 1919. Credit Trove, National Library of Australia
Arthurs Creek Rifle Club with visiting members of the Scottish Regiment.  At the Arthurs Creek Mechanics Hall in 1901, The Evelyn Observer reported ‘Mr. Macfarlane proposed the toast of 'Our Local Standing Army’. Captain Apted, Arthurs Creek Rifle Club and Captain Phillips, Whittlesea Shire Rifle Club, responded at length’.  BACK ROW: 2nd from left John Addison (Jack) Laidlay, 13th from left (in boater hat) William (Bill) Wandless Limmer. CENTRE ROW: 1st from left George Apted, 3rd from left William Laidlay Snr, 4th from left Henry (Harry) Limmer.  Photo and information credit Neil Brock
Arthurs Creek Rifle Club with visiting members of the Scottish Regiment. At the Arthurs Creek Mechanics Hall in 1901, The Evelyn Observer reported ‘Mr. Macfarlane proposed the toast of 'Our Local Standing Army’. Captain Apted, Arthurs Creek Rifle Club and Captain Phillips, Whittlesea Shire Rifle Club, responded at length’. BACK ROW: 2nd from left John Addison (Jack) Laidlay, 13th from left (in boater hat) William (Bill) Wandless Limmer. CENTRE ROW: 1st from left George Apted, 3rd from left William Laidlay Snr, 4th from left Henry (Harry) Limmer. Photo and information credit Neil Brock
The Arthurs Creek Rifle Club World War 1 Memorial Shield was with the Brock family who have since donated it to the Arthurs Creek Mechanics Institute Hall.  The inscription at the bottom reads ‘This Shield is placed in this Church as a Memorial to the Members of the Arthurs Creek Rifle Club who fell in the Great War’.  Names on the shield include A.E. Sutherland, G. Jolley, D.R. McDonald, W.W. Limmer, J.W. G. Butcher, T. Weir, K. Macmillan, L. Apted, S.B. Verso, J. MacCaffrey, A. Bate, H.J. Mason, A.S. Paynter, W.L. Young, A.L. Brock, E. Garside, J.A. Laidlay, H.A. Graff.  It started as a Challenge Shield, and the inscription at the top reads ‘Arthurs Creek Rifle Club Challenge Shield.  In Honour of Fellow Members who have left Australia for Active Service in the Great War 1914 – 19’.  Photo and information credit Neil Brock
The Arthurs Creek Rifle Club World War 1 Memorial Shield was with the Brock family who have since donated it to the Arthurs Creek Mechanics Institute Hall. The inscription at the bottom reads ‘This Shield is placed in this Church as a Memorial to the Members of the Arthurs Creek Rifle Club who fell in the Great War’. Names on the shield include A.E. Sutherland, G. Jolley, D.R. McDonald, W.W. Limmer, J.W. G. Butcher, T. Weir, K. Macmillan, L. Apted, S.B. Verso, J. MacCaffrey, A. Bate, H.J. Mason, A.S. Paynter, W.L. Young, A.L. Brock, E. Garside, J.A. Laidlay, H.A. Graff. It started as a Challenge Shield, and the inscription at the top reads ‘Arthurs Creek Rifle Club Challenge Shield. In Honour of Fellow Members who have left Australia for Active Service in the Great War 1914 – 19’. Photo and information credit Neil Brock
Affiliated Clubs Medal.  Won by A.L. Brock, Arthurs Creek Rifle Club, 1910.  This medal was presented to Neil Brock's grandfather, Alexander Lewis ‘Lex’ Brock (1885-1968).  Photo and information credit Neil Brock
Affiliated Clubs Medal. Won by A.L. Brock, Arthurs Creek Rifle Club, 1910. This medal was presented to Neil Brock's grandfather, Alexander Lewis ‘Lex’ Brock (1885-1968). Photo and information credit Neil Brock
Affiliated Clubs Medal.  Won by A.L. Brock, Arthurs Creek Rifle Club, 1910.  This medal was presented to Neil Brock's grandfather, Alexander Lewis ‘Lex’ Brock (1885-1968).  Photo and information credit Neil Brock
Affiliated Clubs Medal. Won by A.L. Brock, Arthurs Creek Rifle Club, 1910. This medal was presented to Neil Brock's grandfather, Alexander Lewis ‘Lex’ Brock (1885-1968). Photo and information credit Neil Brock

Got a question or some interesting facts?  Leave a comment and we’ll reply.

2 Comments

  1. Neil Brock

    I have this photo but have not been aware of the occasion until now. The people I can identify are:
    BACK ROW: 2nd from left John Addison (Jack) Laidlay, 13th from left (in boater hat) Willliam (Bill) Wandless Limmer
    CENTRE ROW: 1st from left George Apted, 3rd from left William Laidlay Snr, 4th from left Henry (Harry) Limmer

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Research Tools

Click here for links and descriptions that may be helpful for those doing their own research, or for those who simply want to know more about some of the topics touched on in Up the Creek Victoria

Topics:

Airey FamilyAlfred DeakinAllen FamilyAllwood StationApted FamilyArdchattan StationArthurs Creek CemeteryArthurs Creek Cricket ClubArthurs Creek Football ClubArthurs Creek Fruit GrowersArthurs Creek Mechanics Institute HallArthurs Creek Methodist ChurchArthurs Creek Post OfficeArthurs Creek Primary SchoolArthurs Creek Rifle ClubArthurs Creek Uniting ChurchBarton Hill StationBassett FamilyBatman TreatyBear's CastleBear FamilyBegoniasBoadle FamilyBoer warBraeside StationBrain FamilyBrennan FamilyBrock FamilyBushranger BurkeCharnwood StationChristian FamilyChurch of the Irish MartyrsClarke FamilyCleir Hills StationCraigie Lee StationDeep CreekDishleigh StationDoreen VillageDraper FamilyDuffy Land ActEarly BlacksmithsFernvale StationFlintoff FamilyFrank Dalby DavisonFruit Cool StoresGillian FamilyGlen Ard StationGlen Donald StationGray FamilyGreen FamilyHall FamilyHazel Glen CemeteryHazelglen HallHazel Glen SchoolHazel Glen StationHazel Glen Wesleyan ChurchHealey FamilyHenry ArthurHerbert FamilyHeyfield GippslandHickey FamilyHickey’s CornerHowitt FamilyHurrey FamilyHurst FamilyKenneth JackKirkliston StationLaidlay FamilyLang Fauld StationLinton CemeteryLinton FamilyLinton Grange StationLobb FamilyLobbs HillLodgeLodge FamilyMacfarlane FamilyMacmillan FamilyMacpherson FamilyMann FamilyMcDonald FamilyMcKay FamilyMcKimmie FamilyMcLelland FamilyMills FamilyMurdie FamilyMurphy's CreekMurphy FamilyPine Hill StationPlenty RiverReid FamilyRoyal Horticultural Society of VictoriaRunning CreekRyder FamilyRyders Flat ReserveScrubby CreekSmith FamilySteer FamilyStewart's PondsStewart FamilyThomas FamilyTregowan StationUnderwood FamilyVersdale StationVerso FamilyWaitui StationWhittlesea Agricultural SocietyWhittlesea ShowWild Horses BrumbiesWilliam Jock FraterWinter Majetin AppleYan Yean Primary SchoolYan Yean Reservoir