…viewed from Bears Hill on the Arthurs Creek Road, the shape of this prominent hill closely resembles that of the larger Mount Sugarloaf 1805ft (551m) to the east…
Lobbs Hill 1070ft (326m) lies in the foothills of the Plenty ranges, between the Kangaroo Creek (a tributary of the Running Creek) and Deep Creek which has its source near Howat’s Lookout 1691ft (515m). Viewed from Bears Hill on the Arthurs Creek Road, the shape of this prominent hill closely resembles that of the larger Mount Sugarloaf 1805ft (551m) to the east. The smaller hill was originally known as the Little Sugarloaf, and later as Bear’s Sugarloaf.
Joseph Lobb purchased 80 acres of land at the southern end of Middle Hut Road, Hazel Glen (Doreen) in 1872. His wife Joan (nee Male) was the sister of Richard Bassett’s wife Ann. Both couples were married at St Teath, located to the west of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall. The Bassetts had previously settled at nearby ‘Tregowan’, on the southern side of Doctor’s Gully Road, in 1866. The Lobbs called their property ‘Hillbury’. The land was cleared and an orchard established. A number of peppercorn trees mark the site of the old homestead.
In July 1878 Joseph purchased crown allotments 16A and 16B of some 57 acres on the upper reaches of the Deep Creek. He also acquired the adjoining 244 acre block of land, which included the prominent hill now known as Lobbs Hill.
On Joseph Lobb’s death in December 1897 at age 71, his eldest son William John (Will) took over the running of the Hillbury farm. At this time the property included two 80 acre blocks on the western side of Middle Hut Road. Ernest Edward (Ned), the second eldest son, took over the running of the Lobbs Hill farm in the hill country to the north. Ned Lobb married Jane Edge in 1902 and lived at Lobbs Hill with their two daughters, Frances Joan (Joan) and Mildred Jane (Milly), until his death in 1956 at the age of 88 years.
Joseph’s wife Joan died at Hillbury on 16 September 1930 at the age of 98 years and 10 months. Joseph and Joan’s unmarried daughters, Edith and Lilian, continued to live at Hillbury. Today the former Hillbury homestead block is owned by Sandy Brock, who renamed the property, ‘Blue Hills’. The Lobbs Hill farm was given the name ‘Carramar’―meaning ‘shade of many trees’, by Bob and Marcelle Harvey when they moved to the farm in the late 1950s.
In 1900, George Howat, a Melbourne stock and station agent, purchased 319 acres of land near the top of the Sherwin Ranges. He built a large house on the high point at the head of the Deep Creek, known as Howat’s Lookout. From this point there is a wide view to the south across Lobbs Hill, towards the sprawling city of Melbourne and waters of Port Phillip Bay. The Howat house was unoccupied when it burnt down one hot Sunday night during the 1930s.
James T. (Jim) Murphy records that in the early years of settlement, three families of Grimshaws lived to the south of what is now Lobbs Hill, on land selected later by Charles Vaughan. ‘They produced handmade bricks and had bullock teams with which they carted palings from Kinglake over Lobbs Hill and down the spur.’ The remains of a hut site can be seen near the summit of Lobbs Hill.